Yellowstone Club is paradise in Montana. A private residential community in Big Sky, Montana, Yellowstone Club offers its Members the world’s only private ski and golf community. With fabulous skiing and snowboarding and the most gorgeous spring and summer weather to enjoy the 18-hole golf course, rivers, hiking, biking, and more, our Members love being a part of this exceptional community. Our employees make the Yellowstone Club experience come alive. If you would love being a part of the Montana charm and providing the highest level of guest service, ensuring no detail is too small to overlook, and being a part of creating experiences, then Yellowstone Club is looking for you.
We are currently seeking a Beverage/ Sommelier Manager under the Front of House, Food & Beverage department.
The Beverage/ Sommelier Manager is charged with managing and growing the wine, beer, and spirits program at Yellowstone Club.
The Beverage/ Sommelier Manager position performs the following:
- Manage sommelier staff including recruitment, hiring, scheduling, coach and counsel, train and disciplinary action where necessary. Evaluate on-the-job performance.
- Managing all aspects of purchasing, establishing preferred vendors, selecting and purchasing quantities of goods and merchandise, pricing of beverages, and negotiation contracts with vendors.
- Serve as the in-house expert on optimal wine and food pairings through compliment and contrast.
- Maintain revenue and profit goals while surpassing our member and guest’s expectations of liquor, beer and wine selected.
- Meet financial objectives by preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions to ensure meeting goals and objectives.
- Train the various service teams on the various restaurants wine lists, by-the-glass lists, specialty drink lists, proper beverage service techniques, and successful food and wine pairings; Instill confidence with service teams in selling alcohol beverages responsibly.
- Work the floor in each restaurant one night a week to get to know the membership and work with the service teams to refine and constantly improve Yellowstone Club’s restaurants service levels.
- Work closely with the Executive Chef to develop wine lists that compliment menu appetizers, entrees, and desserts.
- Stay abreast of the latest trends in both the culinary, wine, beer, and spirits world.
- Interact with members and guests to provide knowledge and expertise related to wine origin and nature of flavor.
- Document member favorites as notes in the point of sale system.
- Ensure proper storage of various types of beverages.
- Analyze Food & Beverage operating and financial statements for profitability ratios.
- Utilize information technology to record sales figures, for data analysis and forward planning.
- Ensure standards for quality, customer service and Club culture expectations are met.
- Prepare staff work schedules to accommodate the expected business demand.
- Conduct regular product knowledge training with sommelier staff; help the team achieve sales targets.
- Handle member and guest questions, complaints, and issues.
- Review, analyze and monitor invoices with buyers to ensure Yellowstone Club was charged correctly, products arrived as expected and the product standard meets expectation. Handle adjustments and returns as needed.
- Design and create annual beverage plans for each season to meet sales expectations.
Qualified candidates must have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Restaurant Management or related area
- 5+ years’ experience in beer, classic wine service, beverage selection knowledge and experience
- 5 years’ minimum of floor service
- Comprehensive knowledge of world class hospitality and service management
- 3+ years of staff management experience or equivalent
- Completed coursework and certification as a Certified Wine Professional
- Valid State Driver’s License
- Intermediate knowledge level of Microsoft Office system
- Strong communication and correspondence skills with the ability to maintain sound working relationships and communications with management, staff, members, and vendors
- Be able to work weekends and holidays (these are our busiest times)
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
The position offered is a full-time, year-round position located in Big Sky, MT. Yellowstone Club offers great benefits including medical, dental, and vision, a 401k program with company match, a free winter ski pass, free transportation from Bozeman to the Club upon hire, a complimentary meal each day, winter ski days each month for employees to enjoy the mountain, outdoor activities to enjoy in the summer months, and a casual dress code. Plus, you get to work at one of the most incredible places on earth. For more information about the Club, visit www.yellowstoneclub.com.